Updated on September 12, 2011
Making Money From Home Series – Part 1
By now, if you have been following my blog, you are used to me posting money-saving tips to help you stretch your budget, the newest coupons available, grocery/drug store deals and the many, many ways I SAVE money on a daily basis.
However, I have found that as a stay-at-home mom there are many ways I can MAKE additional income for my family, as well.
For example, I blog on this site. I sell items on Ebay. I participate in a yard sale every year. I send off grocery rebates and rebates for other items we purchase. I use a credit card that offers reward points redeemable for cash (important note – I pay the balance in full every single month to avoid interest charges). I occasionally build web sites for others.
And, I participate in various rewards programs, such as the one I am covering today – Swagbucks.
What is Swagbucks?
Swagbucks is a website that rewards you with “swagbucks” simply for doing your regular web searches, taking daily polls, surveys and that type of thing. You can do as little or as much as you would like with it (my personal strategy is at the bottom of this post).
After you accumulate “swagbucks,” you can visit the Swag Store to redeem your points for rewards (including free gift cards Barnes & Noble, CVS, Home Depot, Overstock.com, Macys, Starbucks, Amazon, etc.), Paypal cash, magazines and a wide variety of other items. My favorite reward?
Yes, I love getting free Starbucks gift cards mailed to me. This girl likes her treats 🙂 Speaking of, I heard that the pumpkin lattes are now available for the fall at Starbucks. Anyway, back to the subject of Swagbucks.
How Does the Swagbucks Program Work?
1. Click here to sign up for a FREE Swagbucks account. You will receive 30 swagbucks upon signing up!
2. Use the Swagbucks website as your search engine. You will be awarded ”swagbucks” just for doing your regular internet searches. I find that I will usually win Swagbucks three times a day (once in the morning, afternoon and evening). It doesn’t seem to increase your chances to continually try to search over and over during the same time frame in which you have already earned Swagbucks.
3. Complete quick daily polls (answer one simple multiple choice question) found on the “Earn” menu on the Swagbucks.com toolbar. You will earn 1-2 points per day for doing so.
4. Download the Swagbucks toolbar. You will be awarded 1 point every day when you start up your computer just for having the toolbar. Then, you will earn additional swagbucks for using the toolbar for your searches.
5. Take surveys, watch videos and look out for extra swagbuck earning opportunities.
6. Follow Swagbucks on Facebook and Twitter to hear about time-sensitive free swagbucks codes that you can enter directly on your Swagbucks page.
7. Shop online through the Swagbucks website.
8. Trade-in old cell phones, books and video games for Swagbucks. Click here for details!
9. Watch your Swagbucks accumulate until you are ready to redeem them at the Swag Store for a great variety of prizes, such as gift cards, music, magazines, electronics and much more!
My Personal Swagbucks’ Strategy
It is super easy and for any of you who are routinely on the computer anyway, it is a fun way to earn something for your time spent. The swagbucks will accumulate faster than you might think.
Currently, I am awarded swagbucks mainly from the following ways:
1 – Using Swagbucks.com for my internet searches.
2 – Answering the quick daily poll question (one multiple choice question).
3 – Using the Swagbucks toolbar that I downloaded for my computer (you get one point every day just for having it whether you use it or not).
By the minimal effort I put into it, each month I accumulate enough swagbucks to redeem for a $10 Starbucks gift card, $10 in Amazon credits or $10 in Paypal cash. Or, when I go longer periods of time between cashing in my swagbucks, I get the higher value rewards and gift cards.
I hope this post has given you a thorough idea of how this program works. It truly is a FREE, no strings attached program. And, since we are only a little over 3 months away from Christmas, this is the perfect time to get started on earning gift cards and items (or cash) for Christmas gifts.
If you have any questions, just let me know! Also, if you already use Swagbucks, feel free to comment and offer any tips you have.